Thursday, February 28, 2008

Scouts

Approximately 26 years ago I was called as a Den Leader in Cub Scouts. We had so much fun hot glueing crickets to our tablesaw out back, and making papermache creations over balloons that pop and fly up to the ceiling fan and flap all over the kitchen. It's funny that I was so nervous to have those boys come each week. Then my sons and husband progressed to scouts and scout camp and merit badges and scout hikes and all that goes with that. I was in Primary and was so mad that Mel made me go to "basic training." I learned a lot about leadership. Years passed, more roundtables, more scouts, and I should have three "My son is an Eagle Scout" bumperstickers plastered across the back of my van. Scouting for life! That's my motto. I feel honored to have received the "On my honor" award recently a our court of honor. I just feel bad that I didn't get to sit in the Eagle's nest.

7 comments:

Kirk and Aly said...

Wow mom, you're a die hard! You even have a scout shirt! What cheer did you choose when you got the award? The watermellon, the seal, the sledgehammer, or my favorite - the ice cube? Long live scouts! (Aren't I glad I have all girls!)

The Jones Fam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Jones Fam said...

Mom, don't even joke about the eagle's nest- it's pretty sacred...:) Although you should be the one to sit in it since you basically earned all 3 Eagle Scout awards yourself. I think you were blessed when I got my neuroma back in high school so I would have to go see Cameron McKay and have HIM nag me about doing my Eagle Project instead of you having to do it! Congrats for getting your award. Maybe you should get a sash or a beret to pin it on. That would be awesome.

The Jones Fam said...

P.S. I was the one who deleted my comment. It made sense in my head, but when I read it after it was published it didn't quite work.

HooHoo said...

Aly, it's one of Dad's old shirts. I don't think it fits either of us, but it worked for the occasion.

Jake, I invision the eagle's nest like Kevin wanted his (Big Bird's). Always thought that would be cool, so I think the way they really do it is over-rated.

Sara! said...

Did Dad have to hold you upside down while they pinned on the award? Aly, I'm not familiar with the ice-cube. Maybe you'll have to perform it for me.

Guthrie's said...

Whoa! Now you will have to go for your Woodbadge. Do they have a Beaver's nest for that?