Sunday, June 3, 2007

My Sister Sandra

I need to share some of my feelings about my dear sister Sandra who got to go home to Heavenly Father this morning. I think she is still holding her sweet son Daniel and I am so excited for her to not have to hurt any more, or throw up one more time.

Sandra often said she didn't want to be an example, but she was a shining example of so many things that I admire so I'd just like to name a few. Sandra was an amazing example of Christian giving, loving the Lord, knowing that Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us, testimony of Jesus Christ, positive thinking, endurance, pressing forward, choosing the right, crusading for her causes, bridging generation gaps, promoting music, fine arts and sports, doing hard things and telling about it in a comical way. She was an incredible storyteller and a good philosopher. Her green thumb gardening, oh wow! You can't top it.

I love to think of her as a "wilderness woman." When our kids were younger, she and I would go camping at Strawberry while the husbands worked or whatever. We loved it. We'd fry up potatoes, onions and bacon, eat them and then figure out what to cook next. She was good at making up games, and going on hikes and then talking all night. She always was "high adventure" and anything you did with her seemed to be a great adventure ~ remember Phantom Ranch? She always went to girls camp whether there was a bear scare or not. She was definitely a pioneer, without looking like it.

When I first knew Sandra, I thought she was so beautiful, tall and thin with her dark brown eyes. She was funny and full of spunk but I also thought she was way too young for Reid, she being nine years younger. We teased that someday she would have to feed him soft foods, take him for wheelchair rides and wipe his bum to take care of the old guy. But her maturity level serpassed many much older.

She was much more than this and I know this probably isn't something to post on a blog, but I just want the world to know that Sandra Jones lived an honorable life and left a great legacy to her family and friends who she shared so much love for. We all love her and will miss her. ~Elise

2 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

I know that people can exaggerate people's positive traits after they die, but I think Aunt Sandra really was THAT good! She was always so fun to be around and always made you feel good about yourself. Those camping trips to Strawberry are still some of my favorite memories of growing up. She lived well all the way to the end and will be missed by so many. I usually don't get too emotional when people die, but I'm really going to miss Aunt Sandra. But the consolation I get is when I think about her with Daniel on the other side, and knowing that we will see her again.
Jake

granny said...

Thanks for liking my zinnias. :) And thanks for posting this about Sandra. She had a larger than life personality and made living more fun by just being around her. I'm still pulling my thoughts together for a post on my blog. You are so good to get it up so fast. Camp was great but I left a few thousand brain cells up there....