Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ione Memories

Yesterday I received a note in the mail from a dear friend who said she had just come across a scribbly note in her notebook that she had written as she waited in the chapel before Ione's funeral. She mentioned something about good intentions never materializing and apologized for sending it along now.

I think it is nicer now, after the fact. See if you agree.

When I think of Ione Jones I think of a quiet, loving, smiling woman. I knew Ione first as a brand new mother with my first baby. The took me under her wing - she would stop by and give me a casserole or a blanket made of cool cotton for my baby since it was such a hot time of year.

On Sundays she would smile and give me encouraging words. I always looked forward to seeing her. She made me feel like a better person in her presence. More children came to me--another little boy, then twin girls --each time she took special care to let me know she was there for me. Quietly there. Solid and strong, an example of a true mother and grandmother.

She also mentored me in my church service. I had the opportunity to work with her. I learned that a good leader models the behavior you want others to become. I learned from her to become more aware of others and to do for others --to quietly serve. I learned you should be positive - look for the good. She always was so kind and complementary of my efforts. I know I was young. I was inexperienced and yet she made me feel capable and loved.

I am so thankful for the beautiful example and the influence for good that she has been to me. She is a remarkable woman and I love her. Thanks for sharing her. Love, Maureen

1 comment:

Kirk and Aly said...

I'm so glad I knew Grandma before she was so funny! I remember so many good times at her house, and all the amazing things she would find just for us! Does anyone remember the pictures you would rub other pictures into the background? I don't think they make them anymore, but we sure loved them! It's great to hear what she was like when she was our age! What a neat lady! I'm so glad you posted this for us, Mom!