Sunday, February 19, 2012

Remembering Lee Jacob Huber

February 19th is my grandpa Huber's birthday.  He'd be 117 today.  He used to say "it's heck to get old."  I bet he's not feeling that any more.  I loved my grandpa because he was a real MAN.  He used to let me put my little feet on his big ones and walk.  He always had pink peppermints in his pockets at church.  He had false teeth that he liked to tease us with and he told the best stories about his childhood in old Mexico.  He liked to tell about being a scout for the Mormon colonists to tell them the whereabouts of Poncho Villa.  Grandpa loved the earth.  He loved animals and growing things.  He was a farmer. 

One of the things I loved to watch him do was kill chickens.  It wasn't gross, it was educational and entertaining.  The smell of scalding the chicken before plucking the feathers off is still in my brain.  This week I bottled 40 pounds or 34 1/2 pints of chicken and had flashbacks of when Grandpa would "do" chickens.

Thanks for the education, entertainment and all the love Grandpa.  Happy Birthday Lee J. Huber! 

2 comments:

Guthrie's said...

Hi Elise!
Thanks for bringing back some great memories. I think grandpa was too old for me to walk on his feet when I came along. But he wasn't too old to pull a fuzzy pink peppermint out of his pocket! What pretty jars of chicken! I always want to take a picture when I am done with a project like that. Hope you are warm and cozy today. Happy President's day!
Love ya sister!
Elaine

hi de ho said...

Brrrrr....I miss you!! Your chicken looks so pretty - mine didn't look quite that good, but it sure tastes good! I love Grandpa memories; I also had a fantastic one and miss him.