Sunday, May 9, 2010

Every Day is Mother's Day




Mel got me an early Mother's Day gift. It was a new down filled sleeping bag. Then for an early Mother's Day expedition, we hiked and camped in Paria Canyon and I carried it for three days and used it for two nights.
We had heard that you had to pack everything out that you took in, so we shouldn't have been surprised by the human solid waste bags. We were happy to get rid of those. The entertainment was never ending and it seemed that the cold mud wasn't either.
Purifying water races are amusing, and thank you Jared for being the water boy. Kirk could scale any cliff. He's nearly a mountain goat.
Mel called this the rock scramble.
It was amazing that after setting our clothes out to dry, that Chris' pants could stand up by themselves and Jared's socks stood at attention but couldn't be cracked open.
Jared was a joy to have along. He owned the canyon or visa versa!I am so proud of Alyson for being such a wilderness woman and remaining beautiful through the entire backpacing adventure.I felt like every day is Mother's Day as Chris and Kirk helped me over and through every tight spot. Kevin carried my heavy pack (including the human solid waste bag) the last part of the last day. Mel, bless his heart, took care of me by packing my pack, setting up the tent every night, including putting out my air matress and sleeping bag, rolling it all up in the mornings and then cooking our meals. He took care of my every need. Kevin doing push-ups on a tire (who knows how it got there)was just part of the never ending entertainment - you would have had to been there.
I truly feel blessed to be a mother as I watch my children interact with their spouses and raise their own families. See what I mean, every day is Mother's Day.

5 comments:

granny said...

You = my hero. Way to conquer!

Sara! said...

I wanna go!! Are you up for it next year?

P.S. So glad you're home!

Kirk and Aly said...

Thanks for making it so much fun and for carrying my poo bits. Sorry TMI!

hi de ho said...

Oh my ... what an amazing feat! Those packs were huge! Congratulations on an amazingly beautiful trek!

Arte e Carinho Chinelos said...

Parabéns pela família eterna que tens, lindos...