Thursday, May 20, 2010

Important Reminder

As I came home today after a sweet day with the little boys, being a little self absorbed with my list and realizing that a throw up smell was soaking my shirt, I received this reminder of what I really want to be like from one of my favorite ladies.
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with perfectly manicured fingernails.

I want to drive up in a stationwagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.

I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing my neighbor's lawn.

I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children.

I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.

I want to be there with the children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.

I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Now I realize that "no unclean thing can enter into his kingdom..." (3 Nephi 27:19) but I think this is a pretty humbling reminder from a beautifully nearly perfect lady. I think I'll just keep this shirt on a while longer.

3 comments:

Guthrie's said...

You are looking more like Sister Hinckley every day. (Spiritually that is. Maybe you look more like your mom every day, hmm.) You are still amazing whatever you look like!

jack+alli said...

i love that!

granny said...

I love that quote. You are such a great example. {sorry I didn't get to talk to you last night!}